Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Market Meltdown

No, not that one. This one happened at the local Farmer's Market.

It all started innocently enough. I asked Island Boy if he'd like to go to the Farmer's Market. He said, "yes!" and nodded enthusiastically. It was going to be a quick visit. It really was. I only needed a few items and I knew exactly where to find them.

The troubles began when my normally excellent Parking Karma failed us. Instead of finding a lovely spot right where I wanted to be we circled and circled, narrowly missing a few choice spots as they opened up. Fine. Parking Karma or no, we finally found ourselves a spot (with time on the meter to make up for the lack of market proximity) and strolled towards the market.

I suppose there might have been some hints even at that early stage that something might go awry, but I wasn't picking up on them if they did exist. Instead, we managed to arrive at the first farmer's stand only to find the item we sought wasn't among the offerings for the day. Strike One!!

"Juice?", Island Boy requested. "We'll get some juice on the way back to the car, ok?", said me. Bad move.

Off we went to pick up an herb salad. Ah! That went well!! Next stop? Grapes. Island Boy loves grapes, but this is when things began to fall apart. There I was with a bunch of grapes in one hand and a semi-boneless toddler in the other and I realized our time was up. Whether I was done or not, we were done with the market for the day.

I attempted to derail the meltdown with the promised juice. That worked! Ah, but it was only a temporary patch. We hightailed it back to the car, but the car was too far and the meltdown too fierce.

Why? Maybe it was the juice, maybe not. We may never know, but I imagine it had something to do with the fact that Mommy had a plan. Ha! What was I thinking?!

3 comments:

J+Di Di said...

lol.... THE stock market meltdown was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title of this article...lol...
Yes, witnessing the stock market meltdown was stressful, but it pales against a "toddler" market meltdown!! lol...
You are going to think I am strange, but I actually miss those moments now my Di-di rarely throws a tantrum! Cherish every moment and every tantrum- they do pass too soon! :)~

StarfishMom said...

What a handsome little man!

Judy said...

we will never know what triggers the meltdowns but we just know we have to be prepared. that is why my daiper bag, I mean, my personal carry all, weighs a ton. :)