Friday, April 11, 2008

That's my boy!!

Island Boy has picked up on some signs that surprise me completely. In the most recent example, he surprised us all by signing "diamond". That's right, folks! They learn early!!

Just to set the record straight I believe he picked this up from the song, "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".

This is a very good time to point out that the sign for "diamond" involves using your right hand to form the letter, "D", then tapping your right hand on your left ring finger where a diamond is traditionally worn. I point this out because this is the American Sign Language way to sign "diamond". Other versions of the sign for "diamond" taught to children turn out to be something rather naughty in American Sign Language, so if you're going to teach your child to sign, it's a good idea to teach them ASL-based signs! (Imagine an entire classroom of children singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and signing - well, I won't tell you what they're signing, but it isn't very nice! - instead of "diamond"!)

He does seem to apply it correctly in appropriate situations.

For example, while in the presence of our friend who has been waiting (and waiting and waiting!!) for an engagement ring he began to sign "diamond". She asked me what he was doing since it was obvious he was trying to communicate something and unbelievably to me she couldn't understand his rendition of the spoken word "diamond". When I told her what he was saying and signing, she said, "That's right! Where's the diamond?" and glared at her would be fiance.

Yes, that's our boy!!

(p.s. In case any would-be fiances are reading this, I've even provided a convenient shopping link (actually, two) for you!)

4 comments:

M3 said...

Ok, I have a BADDDDD feeling I've been doing the "other" sign with my girls. What does it mean? I'm almost afraid to look it up...

R... said...

Uh oh! Well, at least you're not alone! I think a lot of babies and toddlers are running around making the sign for a female body part (our instructor alluded to it being the ASL version of a slang name for it), so you don't need to sweat it tooo much. Still, if you happen to know anyone that uses ASL, you might not want to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" in front of them. :-)

J+Di Di said...

hahaha... Island Boy does have his learning priority straight!! I bet he knows that Daimons are women's best friends!

Tiffany said...

Yes it appears he does know a lot about diamonds already and Sophia requests a date with him when she's old enough!!!!! :) LOL
Maybe my husband should take some pointers from Island Boy.
island Boy is a quick learner, I'll tell ya!
tiffany