Saturday, May 26, 2007

Connections

Before we received our referral, I didn't know how I would feel when I saw his picture for the first time.

Now that we have his picture and know a bit about him, we are convinced that this particular person was meant to be family. Our family. The interesting thing is that every other adoptive family I have spoken to about this topic feels the same way about their children. Whatever it is - whether it's a look or a mannerism or a number or a name or some other very special something - there is a connection for every family and we've found ours.

Before our referral, I wondered how people knew their son or daughter was waiting for them in China or Taiwan or Guatemala or Vietnam or Kazakhstan or any other country. As I looked at various adopted children, I would think that any one of those children could just as easily have been mine. As I watched my friends come home from Kazakhstan and from China with their children, my thinking began to change, but I still didn't think it would happen to me - and surely not at the "seeing his picture for the first time" stage. Yet, here I am knowing that there is no other baby in the world that was meant to be ours, and we are totally in love with him.

2 comments:

M3 said...

Yes, yes, yes.
Beautifully put.

shelley said...

I scoured blogs alot before we got our referral. Beautiful babies, all of them. But when our baby's picture popped up on the screen, it took my breath away and I instantly said, "That IS our baby". So glad to know it happens to others as well.

shelley
www.finishingourfamilyfromchina.blogspot.com
www.letsgototaiwan.blogspot.com