Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Remembering a Friend

A friend of ours passed away in October, but we just learned of his passing yesterday. He was a young man and his death came as a shock. Our relationship isn't one that I would describe as particularly close, although I always enjoyed talking to him. He was one of those people that you just felt good talking to every now and then, especially when the world was misbehaving in a certain way.

I remember thinking about him in November and thinking that I should call him, but I didn't get around to it. I thought about calling him again yesterday and was looking up his phone number when I found his obituary instead.

I am surprised at how much his death has affected me. I'm very sad to know that he won't be there to make me feel better in his unique way when the world is misbehaving in its. He left behind a wife and two young children and that is also very hard to think about.

Whenever someone you know dies, particularly when their death is untimely as our friend's was, you're reminded of the relationships you find precious. The death of our friend has me thinking about the people in my life that I haven't talked to for a while. Although I think of them often, I don't always do anything about it. I'm going to try to do a better job of that.

1 comment:

Judy said...

sorry to hear the loss of your friend. Cherish all who are around you