For me, the wait after referral was much harder than the wait for our referral. Before we received our referral, it was easier to go about our lives believing that we would find our little boy when the time was right. Once we knew he was waiting for us and getting older it got very frustrating.
No matter where you are in the process, it can feel endless, so here are a few things to do while you wait (and don't ask how many of these I've done! ;-). Vote for your favorites and chime in with your own ideas:
1) Make a list of things to do while you wait. :-)
2) Spring Cleaning - no matter what time of year it is.
3) Take your spouse on a date - or a lot of them.
4) Workout. Whenever you want.
5) Practice carrying around a 10-pound bag of flour in a baby carrier (thanks, Judy!) or, if that's too girlie for you manly men, get yourself a medicine ball.
6) Outfit the nursery or at least research how you should outfit the nursery.
7) Read books on parenting.
8) Read a trashy novel or a classic literary work.
9) Figure out what all of those baby gadgets are for.
10) Stay out late. Sleep in.
11) Host a dinner party.
12) Make a plan for sharing and organizing all those pictures you know you will be taking.
13) Learn how to change a diaper.
14) Work late - because you can.
15) Write your life story.
16) Retail Therapy.
17) Take the kind of trip you can only take as a couple.
18) Think about the kind of parent you want to be.
19) Vent (early and often).
20) Try a new hobby like this or this or this.
21) Spend time with your dog or your cat or your iguana.
22) Find lots of things to laugh about. (Your comments on my names post and on my good things we're missing out on post gave me a good laugh - thank you!)